Sunday, November 22, 2009

Possibilities-(Corny) Short story on what is cool

(Sorry, sorrym sorry! I thought I posted it...but I posted it on the blog we had last year. Stupid, I know. I apologize for the overwhelming corniness of this story you are about to read...)

Remember when we were kids? When we thought we could be anything in the world? When we thought anything was possible?

"I want you to paint a mural, something that unifies us as a school." Said Principal Harding.

Jen stared at the yellow lines, orange strokes, and blue gradients. There was a light pinkish tinged of purple colors on the sides. In tiny meticulous strokes, Jen had written the words "Possibility" over and over a thousand times to create a large sunrise over an endless sky. Her hands and overalls were covered in blue and purple from the recent additions to the mural. She hummed to the music of her headphones as she painted in the hallway. She had been working on it for two months and it was almost done.

When we believed that we could do anything in the world?What happened to that?

"Do I have to say something?...Isn't the artist supposed to let the art speak for itself?" she asked. Her best friend, Jack, laughed. "Yeah, well when the school board let you paint something in the hallway of a public school; I think they expect a little public ceremony in return."
"Is it terrible of me if I confess I'm scared out of my wits just thinking about it?"
"Of course you're scared. You poured your heart and soul into that thing. Who wouldn't be?"
"Its just there. You know, for the world to see. To judge." She put her hands to her face. "Crap, and that feels so scary. It makes me feel vulnerable."
"You know what; I think it’s brave what you're doing."
"What exactly is that?"
"This." He waved his arm at the painting. "Look, Jen. All you can do is do what you like and care about it. You can't really control public opinion. But, being able to create something like this; it’s beautiful. Even attempting it is admirable in its own right and if other people can't see that, it’s their loss."
"Thanks. I feel better now."
"I'm just telling you what I think."
“Well, thanks for doing that.”

She stood in front of the crowd of students, before the unveiling. The mural was covered behind a dark blue cloth taped securely to the wall.“And now, the last of our Beacon High murals. I'd like to ask Jen Parker to step up, and share with us a few words about her creation.”

"Well, Principal Harding asked us to paint something that unified us and when you think about it, nothing really unifies us. I mean we’re all off doing our own thing most of the time. So the only thing that I could think of that unites us all, that we all have in common is...that we all start off in kindergarten thinking that we can be anything that we want to be, and by the time we get here, we… we've somehow lost that feeling. We've all started to believe whatever our parents or friends have told us about what we can achieve and who we can be in life, and... and we've forgotten about that possibility we had when we were younger. And that's what I think we all have in common, and that's what the symbol in my painting means - possibility. I painted it because I thought we could all use a daily reminder that, even when the odds seem stacked against you, anything's possible. So I hope you like it."

Applause.

She lifted the tape, and the covers fell, revealing the mural. The light shone in from a window onto the sunrise made of the words "possibility" and the mural gleamed from the wall as if it had its own light. The effect was one of those striking moments. The students clapped loudly when they saw. Jen smiled when she saw Jack. He was clapping with them and smiled back.

Anything is possible..

"You know what Jack? I think you're the coolest person I know."
"Huh, you must not get out much Parker."She laughed.
"You're the coolest one and you don't even know it. All this was able to happen because of you."
"As much as I'd like to take credit for this, it was all you Jen. You drew the mural."
"That’s just it Jack. That’s what you always do. You inspired me in a way that you inspire everybody. You're the quiet hero. The one who always steps in at the right time, lending your efforts, never asking for a reward in return. Like with the mural, I didn’t think that it’d turn out this good but it did and it makes me feel like anything is possible. That’s what makes you so cool too. You don’t do all that to get something in return; you just do it because you do.”She took a deep breath.“Basically, I just wanted to say thanks-- for being there for me.”
He laughed. “Anytime Jen, you would do the same for me anyways.”
"In a heartbeat.”

Possibilities.

The end.(Some of the things/ideas said in that paragraph is said by Joey Potter, a character from a TV alongside with some of my own thoughts) Ahh…I feel the story's message is somewhat corny... So I’ll admit parts of it are highly idealized. These are some of my ideas of what “cool” is. I think it’s cool if you are able to comfort your friend. I wish I always knew what to say or do, but I don’t, so when I do and when I’m able to, I’m pretty happy to be able to make someone feel better. I think it’s cool to be a good friend. I think it’s cool to support the people you care about. I think that’s what people need from each other, support, because in this world we can always find critique, but support is harder to find. I think….showing you care, even in simple ways is cool.

3 comments:

  1. I thought that your story is a supporting "cool" person that helps out another person.Then that character gets a "cool" side too for building up the strength and confidence to show the mural out. And naming your story "possibilities" was a "cool" category because there are a lot of possibilities to be a cool person. However yours weren't the kind of story where the person needs to dress up nice and sort of a nonchalant person.
    Nice story, really like the artsy theme you put in. =D

    -Jia Min

    ReplyDelete
  2. YuXi- I like your cool character. Its so different from all the other stories I have read. Your character is more laid back and you can easily see where it fits into your own character. I love that she is into art, that to me is really cool and even more that she is nervous about showing her art. I also agree with Jia min that in it there is also the possibility of having two cool characters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you didn't try too hard to make the character overly cool. You didn't spend a really long time thinking about what cool is to you before you wrote this, you just made a story about what you genuinely find admirable. I also like that you weren't afraid to portray a cool character that really cares what others think, even though most people found that to be something uncool. I also like that quality in a person, especially a friend, because that shows that they're more sensitive to other people's feelings and more likely to want others to be happy.

    ReplyDelete