Monday, November 9, 2009

Hw 13- Feed B

In Feed, Tobin's uses Allegory is try and reveal a more indiscreet side to technology. How overuse and consumption can affect the world. It's a mirror, reflecting the part of society that is so induced by a technological advancement. The people are consuming and being consumed. Feed "emphasizes the problem but doesn't offer a solution". Doing so makes the reader think, rather than proposing a solution, we have to find that out for ourselves. That's just as well, because much too often, we wait for the answer instead of searching for it on our own. Maybe that's the reason he left it as he did, so we would acknowledge the problem instead of ignoring it like we usually do. Maybe he did it so we would think about it and maybe even care. Maybe he didn't know the solution. Or maybe its e) all of the above.

In this aspect I think Feed, is a hammer as well. However deeply it affects you is, however deep an influence it'll have on you. If it has the ability to get someone to change their perspective or point of view than it has the quality of being a hammer. That is the quality in art that can be a hammer as well. I think all art aspires to be the hammer, to be able to affect someone and deeply move them. So I guess I'd like for my art to be a hammer. If you can change the anyone in some way, then that is the hammer you'd wield. That influence is power, and "with great power comes great responsibility" (Spiderman).

I think his book speaks to both adult and teenage readers. Even though its a Young Adult genre, adults could read it as well. Though its for teens its probably more geared towards the older teen. I read this book when I was younger, and I got the plot and the story, but I didn't fully appreciate it. I didn't understand many aspects and nuances to the book. I think at that point of your life you aren't supposed to. Its like when we read books, sometimes we get something different things reading the same book at a later point of our lives. That's because we're different people at that point of our lives. We're the same person, but not exactly the same as we used to be. Our experiences change us and affect how we'll read a book. I think that's why this is true. I think I understand the book a bit more now, than I had when I read it a few years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment