Sunday, September 27, 2009

Hw 6- Video Project

When I watched this video, I thought it was weird to see myself on a video. I'm in my at home clothes and had bed head. My mom's talking in the background. I was checking my mail, chatting, doing hw on the computer and eating pizza. I get a bit self conscious when I'm aware of being filmed but I acted as I normally do. I think you're more self aware when you're watching yourself on video. I was going to play music but I wasn't sure if that was background music so I didn't. My eyes are half closed because my laptop's on the floor and I managed to sneeze twice during this video. At the end of it I say 2:40 because I realized I went over time (I wasn't looking at the camera). It took me a long time to upload the video because I've never done it before. It was an arduous process and I'm feeling computer illiterate. I realize it was actually simple and I'm feeling illiterate once more and a deep kinship with middle aged people who are still somewhat new to this.

I learned something new from this. Uploading is simpler than you think and you don't need to convert your video in mp3 format, which for some reason, I was convinced I had to do. Would I want my little brother or future child(?) to spend alot of time doing this? No, I wouldn't want them to spend too much time on it. I rather they play in real life. For practical reasons- exercise, mental well being, human contact. I start getting fidgety myself when I spend too much time on the computer. The state of inertia is just too much for me. I don't like sitting in one place for a long stretch of time; which I do when I'm on the computer. But I wouldn't take it away completely either because its also practical to learn how to use it. Its not one extreme or the other but somewhere in the middle. I'd let them play with it but not too much and try to encourage them to develop more interests outside of the computer.

I think the difference between interacting with a digital device and being on a digital device is that, interacting is what you are presently doing and being on it, is the recording of what you were doing. The recording only has one angle when recording what you're doing (unless you move it around) and in real life there is a bunch of different views. Its weird watching myself though. But I think everyone's a bit more aware when its themselves and watches it more carefully.

Here's the link to it on Vimeo (I still have to learn how to imbed..I promise after I pester a few people on how to do it, I'll have it up)

update: Oh my, you just paste it on the blog. I finally figured it out. Thanks Na <3

4 comments:

  1. Hey yu-xi,

    I'm sorry my computer is not showing the video, it kind of runs slow, so forgive me if I say something and its actually in your video.

    Ok, so I liked your video, though I do have to say I would like to see more of you and what ever you were doing, being on the computer. I feel like we can relate more to you if we can see you interacting more with the technology. Though I do agree its weird to see ourselves on video. It makes it seem like we have to do our best because people will be watching it and that when we watch it we think back and say, do I really look like that or think up things we could have done better.

    I love how you express your feelings about the uploading process. In truth I also had the hardest time trying to upload it and then get it onto blogger. it must have taken me hours to actually achieve my goal. I did not really picture my self as connecting with the middle age but i can see where your coming from and all I have to say is aww. We are what? like 17 years old and our generation is suppose dot be able to work well with technology but here we are two kids unable to do a simple upload.

    Something else that was new to me was what you stated about your child/ sibling. Most people had the avreage (cant come up with the word) response of " I am not going to allow my kids to use to much technology, I would rather them be outside then sitting in all day". But you stated something which I totally agree with. You state " But I wouldn't take it away completely either because its also practical to learn how to use it". I guess we are so concerned that they will get addicted to technology that we forgot that in our culture we will actually need technology and that it is a big part of our society, so much so many people can not escape from it. So I do agree that while we restrict them from being on it 24/7 we also have to responsibility to teach them how to use it. I also think that while we teach them the good things we need to explain that it should not be the focus of their lives because there are so many other great things to be doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and Kate are some focused people I tell you. Did you even know you was getting recorded at that time? It seemed so real because you were making face expressions to the screen that I don't think you know about. When your face was close to the screen, I can tell that you was very attached to what was going on in it and that it had you hooked because you had a small little smile on and then you had a seriousface on like you were concentrating alot. When you were eating you food without looking at it, I thought to myself "Does that computer screen so interesting that she can't stop for a minute to take a bite of her food and then continue on again? I can see that you like digitalization more than you say you did =].

    I like the fact that it was real and it was what you actually do. You didn't do anything you wouldn't normally do because you said that you was playing with your computer which you was doing. In your reflection of the video you said "At the end of it I say 2:40 because I realized I went over time (I wasn't looking at the camera)." I felt like you can't be more concentrated then that. It was excellent for you to bring that up because that is a good way of saying, the attention you have on digitalization is beyond others at times.

    Overall, I liked your video alot. great work!

    ReplyDelete